Improve Patient Outcomes with Fellowship in Diabetes Mellitus
Diabetes is a chronic metabolic illness that impairs the body’s capacity to regulate blood sugar levels. Diabetes cases have been steadily increasing across India, with an anticipated 77 million individuals affected in the year 2021. A sedentary lifestyle, poor diet, and genetic predisposition all contribute to India’s high diabetes incidence.
The rise in diabetes prevalence in India is a major public health concern, as the disease can lead to complications such as cardiovascular disease, kidney failure, blindness, and amputation in severe cases. Diabetes is more prevalent among low- and middle-income groups and in urban regions. Effective diabetes prevention and management techniques, such as lifestyle changes and access to affordable healthcare, are crucial to lowering diabetes’s impact. Read on to know how healthcare professionals can improve patient outcomes, spread awareness and help lower the incidence of diabetes by opting for a fellowship in diabetes mellitus.
Complications of Diabetes Mellitus
As you know diabetes is a disease that has a slow progress rate, hence the complications associated with diabetes also take time to set in. The complications of Diabetes can be both disabling and life-threatening for an individual.
Here are some common complications associated with Diabetes Mellitus:
1. Cardiovascular diseases: Diabetes majorly affects the heart and the blood vessels leading to diseases like coronary artery disease with chest pain, heart attack, stroke, atherosclerosis, and peripheral artery diseases.
2. Diabetic neuropathy: High blood sugar levels may cause damage to the nerve cells causing nerve cell damage, leading to numbness, tingling, burning, or pain that usually begins at the tips of the toes and fingers and then spreads upwards.
3. Diabetic nephropathy: High blood sugar levels may damage the capillaries present within the kidney that supply blood to the glomerular apparatus, thus, leading to substantial renal damage and in some cases even renal failure.
4. Diabetic retinopathy: There is a network of blood vessels and nerves that supply blood to the eyes and any damage to these vessels or nerves due to excessive blood sugar levels may lead to conditions like glaucoma, retinal detachment, and blindness over time if the condition isn’t addressed early or managed with the help of a diabetologist or endocrinologist.
5. Foot damage: Nerve damage and damage to peripheral blood vessels may lead to conditions like ulcers and gangrene. In case the damage control methods are not efficient this may also lead to necrosis leading to limb amputation in the most severe cases.
6. Hearing impairment: Hearing problems are more common in people with Diabetes mellitus as there is damage to nerve and blood vessels.
7. Alzheimer’s: People with Diabetes have a high risk of getting Dementia and eventually also developing Alzheimer’s.
How does a Fellowship in Diabetes Mellitus help improve your patient outcomes?
A fellowship is like an add-on to your existing degree and helps gain in-depth specialty or subject-specific knowledge. In med-school it’s not possible to have an in-depth understanding of all specialties and a post-graduation program enrollment can prove to be time taking and cumbersome at times, which makes Fellowship the best option.
Here are ways in which a Fellowship in Diabetes Mellitus course can help medical practitioners improve patient outcomes in several ways, including
- Enhance your knowledge and skills in the management of diabetes mellitus: The course provides comprehensive knowledge on the pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management of diabetes mellitus. This can help medical practitioners, such as yourself, provide more effective and evidence-based treatment plans to your patients with diabetes mellitus, resulting in better patient outcomes.
- Improves patient awareness and self-management: The course teaches you how to educate and empower your patients with diabetes mellitus to take charge of their health and make informed decisions. By equipping patients with the knowledge and skills to manage their condition, you can help your patients achieve better glycemic control and reduce the risk of complications.
- Keeping up-to-date with the latest developments in diabetes care: The course provides you with the latest updates and advances in diabetes care, including new treatment methodology and technology. Medical practitioners who complete the course can stay abreast and have access to the latest research and recommendations in diabetes care, which helps them provide optimum care to their patients.
- Helps you with holistic treatment: While medication and patient education are all crucial in diabetes management good lifestyle changes including diet and exercise are of utmost importance to minimize the complications of diabetes and also improve patient outcomes.
- Complications reduction: By staying informed about diabetes complications, as well as the co-morbidities that can lead to them, you can stay prepared and reduce the risks, increasing the patient’s life expectancy as well as helping them lead a healthier, happier, and wholesome life.
What will you gain?
“The aim of medicine is to prevent disease and prolong life; the ideal of medicine is to eliminate the need of a physician.” —William J. Mayo
With the above established, you now know how this Fellowship can assist you. As a physician, improving patient outcomes is of utmost importance because it helps build self-confidence, but this is not all that you will gain through a fellowship; here are a few more benefits:
1. Enhance your professional development: Completing the Fellowship in Diabetes Mellitus course can demonstrate your commitment to ongoing professional development and expertise in diabetes care. This can enhance your professional profile and career prospects in the healthcare industry.
2. Improve your credibility with patients: The Fellowship in Diabetes Mellitus course can help you boost your credibility with your patients. Your patients may feel more confident in your ability to provide effective diabetes care, which builds your patients’ trust and satisfaction over the years.
3. Increase confidence and job satisfaction: The course can help medical practitioners feel more confident in their ability to manage patients with diabetes mellitus, which leads to increased job satisfaction. You may feel more comfortable handling complex cases and be better equipped to make clinical decisions.
4. Keeping up-to-date with the latest developments in diabetes care: The course provides the latest updates and advances in diabetes care, including new treatment options and technologies. Medical practitioners who complete the course can stay current with the latest research and recommendations in diabetes care, which can help them provide better care to their patients and enhance their professional knowledge.
Fellowship in Diabetes Mellitus:
The Fellowship in Diabetes Mellitus is a sequence of 3 courses which includes a certificate course, an advanced certificate course, and then a fellowship in Diabetes Mellitus that together give you a comprehensive and holistic understanding of diagnosing, treating, and managing diabetes mellitus. Once certified, you’ll be able to consult on diabetic cases, thereby improving your patient services and building your career toward success.
Fellowship in Diabetes Mellitus Highlights:
- 12-month course with 4 weeks contact program in a leading hospital
- Focus on treating and managing complications relating to diabetes
- Dive into treating diabetes in special populations
- Accredited by Apollo Hospitals, CPD Standards Office, UK and Royal Liverpool Academy, Medvarsity Online Limited
Here are a few reasons why you should enroll in our fellowship or certification courses.
- Excellence in Medicine: Courses designed by globally renowned faculty
- Industry recognition: Globally accredited courses by top institutes
- Interactive Classes: Live classes & video-based discussions allow interactive learning
- Hospital Partnerships: Clinical apprenticeships at leading hospitals to help you gain more experience
- Global Knowledge Base: Access to international case studies, journals, and research papers for better medical insights
- Optional Simulation Training: Hands-on simulation training programs that help you deliver better patient care
Medvarsity is Asia`s largest healthcare ed-tech company offering online and blended learning programs such as; Fellowship, Post-Graduate Programs, and Certificate courses for healthcare professionals. In the last five years, we have positively impacted the careers of over five lakh healthcare professionals across 190 countries. Medvarsity.com is specially designed to offer online and blended learning courses across 20 medical specialties including healthcare management and healthcare quality.
E-Learning Can Accelerate Your Career and Open Lucrative Job Opportunities
Discover how our certification and fellowship courses, can help accelerate your career and open lucrative job opportunities not just in India, but internationally as well. e-learning is the new phase of learning not just in the healthcare sector, but other thriving domains. e-learning helps you stay ahead of your peers and also lets you learn on the go without having to compromise your daily schedule as a healthcare professional. e-learning is one the fastest and best ways to improve your knowledge, and skills and grow your career in the medical industry. You can now be a part of this revolution and help make a difference in the healthcare sector, by lowering the disease burden, spreading awareness, and positively impacting healthcare through education. Discover how certification courses can help you achieve your career goals.
Don't have an account?Sign Up here
Have an account?Log in here